1 onion, diced
1 ½ teaspoons sweet paprika
1 ½ teaspoons chilli powder
2 tablespoons cumin
2 tablespoons dry, fresh coriander
1 tablespoon white pepper
2 carrots, roughly chopped
2 parsnips, roughly chopped
2 large sweet potato, roughly chopped
2 tablespoons lemon juice
750mls vegetable stock
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
1 cup couscous, prepared according to package directions or
substitute millet for a healthier dish
Fresh coriander for garnish
1. Heat a large saucepan or casserole pot over a medium heat.
2. Add olive oil, onion, and all the spices. Cook for 5-6 minutes,
stirring often, until onion is soft.
3. Add the vegetables and cook a further 3-4 minutes, stirring
4. Add lemon juice and stock and bring to the boil.
5. Reduce heat, cover, and cook for 45 minutes.
6. Serve over a bed of couscous/millet garnished with coriander
Chickpea and Tofu Curry
½ cup dried chickpeas
400ml low-fat coconut milk
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 cup water
1 onion, chopped
2 tablespoon red lentils, rinsed
1 clove garlic, crushed
1 cinnamon stick
1 teaspoon fresh ginger, grated
400g firm tofu
1 tablespoon curry powder
2 tablespoon fresh coriander
½ teaspoon cumin
½ teaspoon garam masala
1. Soak chickpeas overnight. Drain and rinse well. Put in pot,
covered with fresh water. Boil for 15 minutes, then simmer
gently for about 1 hour or until chickpeas are tender. Drain.
2. Sauté onion and garlic in oil in a wide-based casserole dish.
Add ginger, curry powder, cumin and garam masala. Cook for a
3. Add coconut milk, water, lentils, cinnamon and chickpeas.
4. Simmer gently until lentils are very soft and liquid begins to
thicken. Add more water if sauce is too thick.
5. Boil tofu in water for 5 minutes, drain and allow to steam dry.
6. Cut into pieces, add to curry dish and gently heat through.
7. Garnish with coriander just before serving.
Baked Spicy Fish
Because these fish fillets are cooked in their own packets, each one
can be tailored to suit individual tastes – for instance, more or less
chilli can be added as required.
Fillets of firm white fish, 1 per person
1 red chilli, seeded and sliced
Juice of 1 lemon
1 (extra) lemon, sliced thinly
½ tablespoon honey
1. Pre-heat oven to 160o – 180oC.
2. Combine chilli, lemon juice and honey in a bowl.
3. Place each fish fillet on a piece of foil and drizzle with honey
4. Sprinkle with paprika and layer lemon slices on top of each
5. Fold foil over fish and crimp edges together to form a package.
6. Place packages on an oven tray and bake for 8-10 minutes or
until fish is cooked all the way through.
7. Remove from oven and allow to stand for a couple of minutes
1 small carrot coarsely chopped
1 stalk celery coarsely chopped
1 small onion coarsely chopped
2 tbsp white wine vinegar or rice vinegar
8 whole black peppercorns
1 bay leaf
500g fish fillets, fresh or frozen and defrosted
1. Place vegetables, vinegar, peppercorns and bay leaf fry pan.
2. Lay fish on top and add cool tap water just
3. Heat, uncovered, over medium heat until water begins simmer;
make sure the water does not boil.
4. Simmer until fish is firm and no longer translucent.
5. Remove fish by carefully lifting with large, slotted spatulas.
6. Let the fish sit for a few minutes, drain off any excess liquid and serve.
Tuscan Beans Baked With Tuna and Lemon
1.5 cups of dried cannelloni beans soaked overnight
3 cups of cold water
10 large sage leaves
4 tablespoons of olive oil
Freshly ground black pepper
185g tin tuna packed in spring water
1 large lemon
10 small Italian parsley, leaves only
1. Preheat oven to 200 degrees centigrade.
2. Rinse and place them in a heavy ovenproof casserole.
3. Add olive oil, garlic and fresh black pepper to taste.
4. Cover casserole and bake for about 2 hours, stirring the (The
cooking time for beans can vary a lot, depending dryness and
the method that was used to dry them).
5. When beans are almost cooked, place the tuna in a small glass
bowl, squeeze the juice of the lemon over it
6. Remove the cooked beans from the oven, add tuna salt and
pepper to taste, and bake uncovered, for 10 minutes
7. Remove from the oven and serve with freshly ground pepper
and parsley sprinkled over each serving.
Two Bean and Tuna Salad
250 g thin green beans stemmed
¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
1 large garlic clove, very thinly sliced
1 small red capsicum cut into thin strips
2 Tablespoons chopped fresh basil or Italian parsley
½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
2 x 185g tins tuna packed in spring water
1. In a medium saucepan bring 2 ½ cm of lightly salted a boil over
moderately high heat.
2. Place the green beans saucepan, cover and cook until tender,
5 to 6 minutes. Set aside.
3. Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over low garlic slices and
cook, stirring until softened and about 2 minutes; do not brown.
4. Stir in the capsicum cook, until softened, about 4 minutes.
5. Add the cooked increase the heat to moderate and cook,
stirring, until combined and hot.
6. Stir in the tuna, basil and black. Serve warm or at room
Grilled Fish Fillets with Herb Dressing
4 fish fillets
1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/4 cup plus 3 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1/4 cup lemon juice
2 tablespoons fresh dill, chopped
2 tablespoons continental parsley, chopped
Sea salt and pepper, to taste
1. Heat the grill
2. Sprinkle fillets with pepper, cook for 2-until fish is cooked
3. Place oil in a bowl and gradually add lemon juice whisking
continuously until all lemon is incorporated in oil.
4. Add fresh herbs and season to taste.
5. Pour dressing over the fish.
6. Serve with steamed vegetables.
Vegetable and Prawn Stir-Fry
700g uncooked prawns
1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 onion, sliced
200g broccoli, cut into small pieces
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 red capsicum, sliced
150g small mushrooms
2 tsp fresh ginger, grated
1 ½ cups stock
1 ½ tbsp lime juice
1. Peel prawns and remove veins. Wash.
2. Heat 2 tsp oil in wok. Add prawns and stir fry over high heat for
1 minute. Remove.
3. Heat remaining oil, add capsicum, onion and broccoli.
4. Stir fry for 2 minutes then add mushrooms, garlic and ginger fry
for an additional few minutes.
5. Add prawns and remaining ingredients, stir fry or until tender.